It is a no-brainer that the recommended amount of water one is advised to drink in a day is 8 liters. This is to aid the body to function properly. However, of more essence knows the right time to drink water. Here are some of the times that are most vital in order to have the maximum effect of the water consumed;
• Immediately after waking up; this ensures that your body flushes out toxins before you take your first and most important meal of the day. It also ensures that your internal organs are activated.
• Before bathing; this helps the body to lower the blood pressure.
• Before a meal, it is advisable to drink water at least 30 minutes before a meal to aid in digestion. It is also recommended that you drink a glass of water about an hour after the meal to aid in absorption. Water drank too close to a meal brings a negative effect to the body as it dissolves the digestive juices.
• Before going to sleep; water drank before retiring to bed ensures compensation of fluids that are normally lost during the night.
Does Drinking water lead to better health?
Of all the recommended times for drinking water, the most underrated, which happens to be the most important, is drinking water before, during and after meals. If followed correctly, the results achieved are remarkable.
Drinking water helps a person lose weight; according to numerous sources, drinking water thirty minutes before having a meal assists the body to consume fewer calories. This translates to less fat hence a considerable weight loss.
The simple logic behind this argument is that water provides a sense of fullness. This results in a person consuming less food in order to reach the point of satiety. Water is also a great choice of drink instead of consuming a beverage with empty calories that at times amount to over a hundred calories.
It will take you about two hours to digest what you eat. The food enters the stomach via the gullet, then proceeds past the stomach into the ileum, before entering the colon and is finally flushed out of your body.
During this entire process, there is a fluid-solid proportion that needs to be maintained in our gastric system. Should you take water immediately before a meal, this will result in the food being hastened to the colon and at the same time, upsetting the fluid component as you dilute what you eat.
- Drinking water as you eat is also strongly opposed. On top of hastening the digestion process, it hinders the effective absorption of nutrients into the body after digestion. Numerous studies have shown that people who tend to drink water alongside their meals tend to have an extended colon.
Should I drink water after a meal?
Drinking water immediately after taking meals will result in diluting the gastric juices. The enzymes responsible for digestion are diluted, resulting in low secretion of the said digestive enzymes. This then results to acidity and heartburn. It also results in making a person feel hungrier faster, whose consequences are overeating and bloating.
The interrupted digestion process ultimately leads to a lot of undigested food being left behind in the system. The glucose in this undigested food then converts into fat. It is then stored in your body, leading to an increase in insulin levels, which ultimately leads to a rise in the blood sugar level. If not checked, this can lead to obesity or diabetes.
In as much as you might need to keep your body well hydrated, it is important to ensure that water is consumed at the appropriate times too.